The current siteTHE REMAINING HERITAGE BUILDINGS

Three listed buildings remain to be returned to active use before the regeneration of the former Royal Arsenal can be considered complete - Buildings 10, 11 and 19. The refurbishment of two of these remaining buildings is now proposed, alongside the delivery of a new Royal Arsenal Square.

The new plans seek to deliver new commercial space and provide 146 high-quality homes, as well as creating a dynamic and culturally rich public gateway to the new Woolwich Crossrail station, supporting access and interchange for millions of station users. Berkeley is working towards completing the Heritage Quarter with its latest proposals to retain and redevelop Buildings 10 and 11, securing the long-term future of these heritage assets and opening them up to the public for the first time.

BUILDING 11 - THE OFFICERS’ HOUSE

  • Originally constructed as a Barracks in 1740
  • Substantially remodelled as four houses for Officers in 1787
  • Re-faced throughout in 1855
  • Acquired by Berkeley Homes from the LDA in 2011
  • Located immediately to the North of Woolwich Arsenal Crossrail Station due to open in 2018
  • Previous detailed listed building and planning application for the demolition of Building 11 was withdrawn in 2015
  • Currently in a very poor state of repair

BUILDING 10 - THE ROYAL CARRIAGE WORKS

  • Constructed in 1803-1804 for the servicing of gun carriages
  • Internal alterations and extensions made between 1850 and 1890
  • Further extensions constructed in 1895 (since demolished in 2007)
  • 2011 - Acquired by Berkeley from the LDA
  • 2015 - Temporary Public Event Space